Thomas Becket Catholic School is committed to providing high quality careers education and guidance as an integral part of every student’s education. It will seek to ensure that the provision is appropriate to the age, stage, ability and educational needs of every individual and is underpinned by equality of opportunity.
Our key aims are:
- Raising student achievement
- Supporting inclusion and promoting equality of opportunity
- Encouraging participation in lifelong learning, including further and higher education
- Developing enterprise and employability skills
- Encouraging students to contribute positively to their communities
We invite parents and students to follow our social media channels for up to date careers opportunities and updates.
For further information about careers at Thomas Becket Catholic School please contact:
- Careers Lead: Tutu Alaka
- Telephone: 01604 493211
- Email: AAlaka@tbcs.nor.olicatschools.org
Policy Statement on Provider Access for Thomas Becket Catholic School
This policy sets out our arrangements for managing access of providers to students at the school for the purposes of providing information about education and training. This complies with the school’s legal obligations under Section 42B of the Education Act 1997.
Student Entitlement in Years 7-13:
- Students are entitled to find out about technical education qualifications and apprenticeships as part of a careers programme that provides information on the full range of education options training available at each transition point.
- Students are entitled to hear about a range of local providers and the opportunities they offer, including technical education and apprenticeships.
- Students are offered support on how to make applications for a full range of academic and technical courses.
Careers Provider Access Policy
We are happy to be able to offer businesses and organisations access to pupils at the school for the purposes of giving them information about the provider’s education or training offer.
Please read our Careers Policy prior to contacting Mrs Alaka, Careers Lead AAlaka@tbcs.nor.olicatschools.org to identify the most suitable opportunity for you and your organisation.
Opportunities for Access
Each academic year there are a number of events integrated into the school careers programme that offer providers an opportunity to come into school and speak with students. Please contact Tutu Alaka to discuss and identify the most suitable opportunity for you. The School’s Safeguarding Policy sets out the school’s approach to allowing providers into school as visitors to talk to our students.
We know that employers in the UK have concerns about skills gaps and the work-readiness of some young people. Thomas Becket Catholic School is a member of the SEMLEP Careers and Enterprise Network, part of the national Careers and Enterprise Company programme.
Our aim is that through employer engagement at all ages, we ensure that young people leave our school with the skills, competencies, knowledge, appropriate qualifications and attitudes needed by employers for both their own career development and economic sustainability and growth.
We are looking for passionate employers from businesses and other organisations to help our students and thus shape the future workforce and bring the world of work to life for the next generation.
The following high impact activities are used to work in partnership with businesses to help our students prepare for the world of work:
- Employer Talks
- Business site visits
- Enterprise activities
- Work experience and job shadowing
- Mock interviews and CV preparation - read about our recent Mock Interview event
If you can help with an engagement or for further information, contact Tutu Alaka, responsible for careers provision AAlaka@tbcs.nor.olicatschools.org
Careerometer – Use up to date Labour Market Information to compare the average wages , working hours and predicted trends for different UK jobs. https://ideas4careers.co.uk/careerometer/
Success at School – Explore careers, get the low down on top employers and search for the latest jobs, courses and advice.
Buzz Quiz – In under 5 minutes discover:
i. What strengths and makes you tick?
ii. What animal are you?
Icould – Links to videos showing different jobs.